Saturday, April 28, 2007

La tarde en mi barrio

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Buenos Aires. The air was crisp and the sun was shining. I noticed the leaves begining to change their colors. Remember, it is fall in this hemisphere. The southern hemisphere, water the water in the toilet does indeed spin the other way. After class I headed home, grabed m camera and went out for a walk. I headed north through my barrio Almagro into Palmermo Viejo for lunch, and then up to the Plaza Italia for the 33 Annual Buenos Aires International Book Festival. Lunch was unbelievable. I ate lama at a restauant called La Paila on the corner of Calles Costa Rica and Jorge Luis Borges. The fare at La Paila is traditional northern Argentinia, food from Juyjuy province which shares a border with Bolivia.
I enjoyed myself at the Feria del Libros despite the fact that I couldn´t read hardly any of the books. I spent a lot of time purusing childrens literature, but there I was still lost. Surely I´m too advanced for Pablo´s Mala Día, but Los Brujas by Rahl Dahl is too much. Is my Argentine mind more like an eight year olds or am I a pre teen? I settled on a copy of Macbeth and read for the rest of the night under a street light in the Plaza Italia.
These are pictures I took along the way. I tried to shoot scenes typical of my daily walks and my neighborhood.

This one I took a couple of days ago. This is the street I walk from class to the subway home.


I typical east to west main road in Almagro. Calle Corrientes.


Verduleria. I stop at one of these a couple of times a day.


A house in northern Almagro. About 4 blocks from my apartment.


Good weather grafiti


I forgot my notebook this morning so I can´t give you the name of the dish right now. It is a delicious lama stew, with bith tender chunks of carrot, and quinoa the grain of the gods. The lama was tender and succulent. It is served in a delicious bread bowl made from purple corn flower, hot and crusty. The stew didn´t turn it to mush. Topped with fresh green oninon and lots of paprika. I started the meal with the best carne empanada I´ve had yet and a glass of wine. Muy rica!


The neighnorhood dogs too were enjoying the afternoon.


A shot from near Plaza Cortazar in Palermo. La Paila is down the street to the right.

Hasta luego!

No comments: