Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mas photos

Here are some pictures from a couple of the days that passed between Bariloche and the volcano trek on Sunday.
My first stop was in Valdivia, Chile. I took an afternoon bus through the Andes and arrived in Valdivia on an foggy night at about 10:00. After a bit of confusion and aimless wandering I asked for directions from a nice couple and found my hostel in no time. Valdivia ias a small college town that sits a few kilometres inland from the ocean on the banks of two tidal rivers. It is a quite but culturally rich little place with an excellent fish market on the banks of the river every morning. I bought a side of salmon and an assortment of the best vegetables I´ve seen yet down here and cooked myself an excellent meal. These shots are from right outside of the market, first looking south and then to the north where the lazy sea lions pass their time eating the scraps that the fisherman throw in the river.


The hightlight of my short stay in Valdivia was not the market but the the Kunstmann brewery. German immigration has left a positive influence on the city of Valdivia in the form of excellent Beer. I failed to take any pictures because I was to busy tasting all the brews and munching deliciuos cheeses and cured meats. Oh well. If you are ever in Valdivia, don´t miss the Cerveceria.
I was in Valdivia for less than 72 hours when I jumped on a bus to Pucón. Valdivia was a nice stop, and a place I might return to if I ever achieve fluency in the spanish language to pass my time in coffee shops with the local college crowd, but I wanted to get back to the mountains. I didn´t do much on my first couple of days in Pucón do to el gripe (a cold) other than meet some good people and sit in the thermal springs one night with some friends. But by Saturday I´d recovered my health and headed into the countryside on a bicycle. The following are a few pictures from that trip.
I took the main road out of town...

...into the hillside...

...over the bridge...

...beauty. Volcán Villarica. At night it glows red in the distance.

¡Nos vemos!

No comments: